High-Performance Data Compression
The industry’s most advanced compression solution, PKZIP for z/OS delivers unmatched data compression, together with enhanced file handling and system integrations that accelerate business processes in the datacenter and beyond.
PKZIP reduces file sizes by as much as 95%, decreasing DASD costs, conserving transmission bandwidth, and minimizing processing time.
With more than 30 years in large-format data compression, PKWARE is the industry leader in technological innovation and customer service. No other solution can match PKZIP’s capabilities, reliability, and versatility.
Realize the Full Potential of Your System
Developed specifically for IBM z/OS, PKZIP includes a variety of options for exploiting native mainframe capabilities to maximize compression performance and optimize the use of resources.
- Hardware-accelerated compression exploits native IBM Z capabilities to reduce the CPU capacity required to compress data. Administrators can select either hardware-accelerated compression or software-based compression to meet IT goals and priorities.
- zEDC support provides the option for data compression processing to be offloaded to a zEDC card, reducing demands on other system resources.
- Support for Extended Address Volume (EAV) on z/OS allows data sets to reside in the Extended Address Space (EAS) portion of an available EAV.
- zIIP Support allows processing can be offloaded to an IBM Z Integrated Information Processor for qualified workloads.
- Support for virtual storage constraint relief enables use of 64-bit memory for caching of compressed/encrypted data before being written to the output archive.
PKZIP for z/OS also includes enhanced interoperability with other native z/OS features including pervasive encrypted data sets, IBM SMS-compressed files, type 3 program object support, PDS/E Version 2 libraries, and PDS/E GDG’s.
Streamline and Automate Data Exchange
Moving data between disparate computing systems often requires multiple steps and multiple translation products and converters. PKZIP for z/OS eliminates these requirements, enabling users to write directly to, and read directly from, UNIX, Linux, and Windows file systems.
PKZIP’s integrations facilitate the exchange of data between different types of systems and automatically convert data to the appropriate format for each system.
PKWARE is the only vendor to provide seamless data exchange across z/OS for the mainframe, IBM i for the IBM Power midrange systems, UNIX/Linux/Windows servers, and Windows desktops.